Maze of Life - The Y-start challenge
From here-on the challenge is to discover how the blue-cell
can 'manufacture' various stable-state cell arrangements (or
other definable goals) from a pre-defined start position. One
challenge called the Y-start challenge is proposed here,
however the applet will allow you to set-up and explore your
own Maze of Life challenges.
Using the V2 applet (below) set up the illustrated Y-shaped
start position, with the blue cell in the center of the grid.
Then see if you can reach each of the illustrated goals. Location
and orientation of the goal does not matter, nor which is the
blue cell. 3 out of 4 of the goals are relatively easy, and one
of these 3 is a gateway through which you must pass, to reach
the missing 4th goal. But which is the gateway? And can you reach
that elusive 4th goal?
Click on Edit to set up a start position.
Click on Play to switch to play mode or to restart.
Use Undo/redo to replay previous moves (play mode only).
Click on Load to verify and rerun the move sequence in
the text box (play mode only).
In Edit mode click on the grid to toggle cell status
In Play mode click on the grid to move.
u undo last move.
It turned out the Y-start challenge raised
many more questions than answers (see below). Discover the answers
to many of these questions, on the following pages. I recommend
you start with the page on stable-state
- How many other stable state goals can be achieved by the
- What about stable-state goals containing: 5, 8, 9, 10, 11,
- Can you find additional stable-state goals if you chose a
different start position?
- What is the maximum number of cells? And is this achievable
- Is it possible to build multi-cluster stable-states?
- Which stable-states are escapable and which are inescapable?
- Does escapability depend on position of the blue-cell?
- Can you reach a goal, but with the blue-cell back in its
- Can you return to the Y-start?
- Can you achieve world domination (where the blue-cell is
the last cell left alive)?
- What new types of oscillators can the blue-cell create?
- Can the blue cell create and manipulate life-forms such as
material - Andrea
Gilbert, Carl Hoff, Jacco Compier
applet - © Andrea Gilbert 2000-2002